Are you interested in using electronic media? We’ll help you find your way through the e-media jungle.
UZH-ZB Online – our service for university members and public users
We acquire digital media such as e-books, e-journals, e-papers and databases. Our e-media are identified in the catalogue by the ownership information “UZH-ZB Online”. You can use all e-media on the public computers in the reading room of the Zentralbibliothek Zürich. University of Zurich members can consult them from outside the library via VPN.
How it works
- Search the catalogue for media that are labelled “Check online access”.
- Click on “available” to obtain an overview of the libraries that hold them.
- Now search for “UZH-ZB Online” – these are our electronic media.
- Click on the “Online via SFX” link,
- Then click on “go” in the SFX display to go to the publisher page.
- You can now download the electronic media in their entirety or chapters from them as PDFs.
PURA – our service for private individuals
If you are not a university member and want to use our special e-media service for private individuals instead, sign up for PURA (Private User Remote Access). You will need a library card from the Zentralbibliothek Zürich and must accept the General Terms and Conditions.
An overview of the products available using PURA can be found here.
How it works
- Create a personal Switch edu-ID free of charge.
- Request PURA rights on Swissbib by logging in with your Switch edu-ID and then selecting the offering of the “Zentralbibliothek Zürich”.
- Consult our information desk with a valid ID and your PURA Barcode to get validated.
You can find details of the services offered by the ZHdK Media and Information Centre MIZ on its website.
e-Thek – our online loan service
e-Thek is a service offered by the Zentralbibliothek Zürich and various media libraries of middle and vocational colleges in German-speaking Switzerland. It allows you to borrow e-media – e-books, e-audios and e-papers – free of charge and round the clock as online loans that you can download to your own PC, e-book reader or mobile device and use for the entirety of the loan period specified. Contact the Zentralbibliothek information desk to obtain access. The only condition is that you must have a valid library card from the Zentralbibliothek Zürich.
National licences: the electronic service for users in Switzerland
E-media that are subject to a national licence can be accessed by anyone resident in Switzerland, regardless of whether or not they are a university member. We license complete and frequently used periodicals archives. More recent content is incorporated into the national licence with a time delay. Information on how to register and the content of the offering is available from the Consortium of Swiss Academic Libraries.